I believe grade 12 university level English should be a requirement for entry into all university programs for several reasons. The first reason is that taking English would help you communicate easily with more people. Secondly, for taking English you could get the chance to learn how to be a better speaker with group presentations and individual presentations. Lastly, by studying English you could learn valuable research skills.
My first reason is English would help you communicate easily with more people because about 400 million people in the world speak English in about 101 different countries! By learning English you could easily watch movies, documentaries, read books/magazines because most are made in English according to some statistics found on this online article. Also, English is the main language instructors use in the top universities around the world for example in Canada (UofT) , the United States (Yale and Harvard) and in England (Oxford) . Also, in English class there are some group activities which you have you with other people and during those activities you can learn valuable skills like compromising and accepting people’s opinion which could help you in university and also in future job placements. Those are some reasons why learning English could help you communicate better.
My second reason is the presenting skills that you obtain could also, help you in other fields for example in business. For instance in business you could pitch a new idea for a product to a group of consumers or buyers with confidence and make people interested in what you are saying. Also, these presenting skills could help you when you are a getting a job and you go to a job interview and be more marketable. This might increase your chances of getting hired. Those are also some reason why English could help you present better.
Lastly, by studying English you could learn valuable research skills to help you in your everyday life and other courses. For example , in biology you could use the research skills you learned in English class while working on essays to help you research for a lab report on rats and their life style. Also, it could help you with using a library database since most I think all universities have database. Those are some reasons why I believe English should be a requirement for entry into all university programs.
In conclusion I believe that grade 12 university level English should be a requirement for entry into all university programs. In English class you learn a variety of different skills that could help you in post-secondary such as presenting skills, research skills and communicating with people easier in group settings.
For more on why we should study English WATCH THIS !!
- The 15 Most Spoken Languages in the World. (n.d.). Retrieved July 04, 2017, from https://www.rocketlanguages.com/blog/the-15-most-spoken-languages-in-the-world/
- Lobachev, S. (n.d.). Top languages in global information production. Retrieved July 05, 2017, from https://journal.lib.uoguelph.ca/index.php/perj/article/view/826/1358#.WV2NRNIrLRY
- Kim, L. (2016, November 03). 20 Ways to Improve Your Presentation Skills. Retrieved July 05, 2017, from http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2014/11/19/how-to-improve-presentation-skills
- Developing research skills at secondary school. (n.d.). Retrieved July 05, 2017, from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042810022949
- Anon, (2017). Why should I use a library database instead of the internet?. [online] Available at: https://lib.byu.edu/faq/173302/ [Accessed 6 Jul. 2017].
- A. (2013, February 22). Retrieved July 05, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYq2WCFv5MQ